Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer jobs

Back in the early spring I decided that this would be a summer of fun... sort of a graduation present to myself... I imagined a summer where I worked only as much as I needed to, only worked on cool and fun projects, and travelled a lot. So far I've been able to work on cool and fun projects, but... I have been working 10+ hour days on average, and often on the weekends. Traveling has been sparse and limited to quick jaunts here and there. The reason is that I found an incredible number of cool and fun projects to work on. Some of them pay, some do not, but I am proud to be a part of all of them.

Here are some photos from my summer of fun work*

***Note to family and friends: these are photos from just a few of the jobs I've been doing this summer. There are more jobs yet! So sorry if I haven't called or written... I've been busy working in the dirt. Come late fall some normalcy should return to my life!

Alleycat Acres is growing like crazy up on Beacon Hill. Come help us harvest on Tuesday nights from 6-8 pm.
Apparently kids love to harvest carrots,
and this one was good at it.
We got about 5 cuttings from that Romaine!
















Installation of two demonstration beds at the Goat Hill Giving Garden in downtown Seattle
Filling the beds with either a GroCo/sandy loam blend, or sandy loam + organic fertilizer
Watering in the seeds. We planted potatoes, squash, and bush beans in the demo beds



Collecting soil samples from research plots on Vashon Island
Collecting biomass samples

One day that tall meadow will return to
forest if we have anything to do with it

















Veggies and ornamentals growing at the South Treatment Plant demo garden
These Hollyhocks are so romantic
Bright Bandolier Sunflowers
Baby eggplant
Wish my tomatoes at home looked like this
Cucumbers starting to develop
Scabiosa is stunning

No comments:

Post a Comment