Monday, March 28, 2016

Post Easter Kale Quinoa Salad


It's been about 3 years since I last posted. In that time I've birthed two beautiful boys, completely transformed our backyard garden and play space, planted veggies with my toddler, let him take one bite of many homegrown tomatoes before spitting them out and throwing the remainders like baseballs, worked very hard at my office job, worked very hard at my parenting job, been a less than perfect but loving wife, and cooked hundreds of meals for my family. In the last three years, however, I have not spent much time being creative. Little to no time has been spent writing, crafting, painting, or playing music. The innate desire, or perhaps need, for personal creativity has been calling me recently, and for that reason I've decided to start writing on this blog again.
My two boys at last night's Easter celebration.
Today I sit at the keyboard with a fussy infant strapped to my chest (thank you Ergobaby!). Neither of us slept last night, it's mid day and I'm still in my PJs, and I have twenty pounds to loose before I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Not my prettiest moment, but  I'm thankful for this snuggly baby, I'm happy spring has arrived, and I'm enjoying this season of awakening and rebirth.

Our leftover Easter eggs

Partly in an attempt to get healthy and loose the pregnancy weight, I've recently been making several delicious kale & quinoa salads. I keep washed kale and cooked quinoa in the fridge so they're ready for me to use at any moment. These salads are healthy, light, and the nutrition is excellent for postpartum healing and milk production. My other motive for making these salads is that I have scads of kale that overwintered in the garden, and I want to use it up before planting my spring garden. The salad changes based on what I have on hand and what I'm desiring in the moment. Below is a picture and recipe of what I made today. I definitely recommend it.


Tuscan Style Kale & Quinoa Salad
A couple handfuls of fresh kale 
Juice of half a lemon
Pinch of salt
A half cup or so of cooked quinoa (I like the red kind best)
A half cup or so of garbanzo beans
1 hard cooked egg
1 Tbs parsley
1 Tbs scallions
A sprinkling of parmesan cheese
A few Tbs of pesto vinaigrette

Add the kale, lemon juice, and salt to a medium bowl and gently massage the leaves for about one minute. This step is important because it helps the kale to become tender and easier to chew. Next add the remaining ingredients, toss, and enjoy.

Pesto Vinaigrette
1/4 cup vinegar, lemon juice, or combo of the two
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1 tsp honey
3 Tbs prepared pesto

Combine all ingredients and blend on high speed until the mixture is emulsified and you can no longer see evidence of the garlic clove. Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to one week.  

1 comment: