Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Scallions




I have a pot of fresh herbs that lives on the windowsill above my kitchen sink. It gives me something pretty to look at when I’m doing the dishes, and fresh flavor boosters when I’m cooking. What I grow in there is constantly changing. The other day I bought a bunch of scallions for a recipe (the root vegetable hash described below). Rather than throwing the root tips in the compost bin, as usual, I decided to see what would happen if I stuck those little roots in my herb pot. Within two days I started to see green growth from the little root nubbins. Within two weeks I had already started to harvest the green tips. What an easy, and unexpected herbal treat! For those of you out there who want to start growing herbs and vegetables, but don’t know where to start, I recommend trying this. It is cheap, fast, easy, and you can do it in your windowsill. Just remember to water the pot every few days, and change the potting mix every 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment