Monday, May 10, 2010

Pickles

Who says pickles are just for cucumbers?
I grew up thinking that a pickle was a cucumber soaked in a vinegary brine. That was until about 12 years ago, when I visited a sake bar in lower Manhattan (yes I was underage, but that is entirely beside the point). There, I ate so many different types of pickled vegetables I couldn't believe it. Today I like to pickle an assortment of vegetables at home. It's surprisingly easy to do.


Here I pickled a combination of broccoli, carrots and onions. These pickled veggies taste great as snacks, but also make amazing additions to green salads.

Here's how I made it:

For the brine:
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs sugar
3 cloves smashed garlic
1 Tbs whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves

Veggies:
1 onion chopped
3 carrots chopped
1 small head of broccoli chopped into florets and cubed stalks (the stalk is my favorite part)

Place veggies in a jar full of brine, shake, wait a day or two before enjoying. Store in the refrigerator.

Get creative with what you put in the brine. You can't go wrong. Capers, hot sauce, chili peppers, and fresh herbs are a few ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment