Saturday, April 2, 2011

Recipe 7: salad as a meal challenge

Chef's Salad: Ham, Cheese, and Tender Greens
Lemon and olive oil dressing.

I am so happy it is the weekend. This last week was a bit overwhelming in terms of after work activities. It seemed like there was an event or meeting almost every night. So it goes when you're having fun.

On Tuesday night I had about a half hour between getting home from work and running out the door to an Alleycat Acres meeting. In an effort to be both healthy and quick, I whipped up this chef's salad recipe from Patricia Wells' new book Salad as a Meal. I brought my dinner to the meeting with me, which I later regretted because it made everyone else drooly and jealous.

I used some of the seasons first greens, which I got at the Ballard farmer's market last Sunday. I added procuitto, and cantal cheese. Ms. Wells' recommends using a comte cheese, which I imagine would have been better, but I used what I had on hand. I also added a hard cooked egg because I have a bit of an egg obsession going on right now. I don't know why, but I find myself eating a lot of eggs these days. I'm going with it.

2 comments:

  1. Salad looks great! I'm not familiar with cantal cheese - what's it like? And "drooly" is SUCH a good word :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @diabeticFoodie Cantal is a semi-hard, mild creamy cheese. I suppose kinda like a mild cheddar, but with a barny funk. Good stuff, but this salad would have been better with a super nutty, sharper comte or gruyere, as Ms. Wells suggests in her recipe.

    ReplyDelete